Wednesday, February 27, 2013

E-learning & E-training: one and the same

When I began my quest for information on E-learning and E-training, I was under the impression that the two where separate entities, two different topics one may say. I wanted to do a sort of comparison between the two topics but soon discovered that they are considered to be the same thing. I have taken on line classes in the past and since 2004 have had to annually complete computer based training with the company I work for. In both instances the Internet was a key factor for access and so I set out to find out why the letter “E” is used at the beginning of the two words instead of the letter “I”.

     
     According to Elearningnc.gov, E-learning is a form of learning that uses electronic technologies to obtain educational curriculum outside of the traditional classroom. It is sometimes referred to as Computer based training (CBT), Internet based training (IBT) or Web based training (WBT), (Wikipedia.org).  I can definitely identify with the term CBT because my employer currently utilizes computer based training for 50% of an associates training.  The letter “E” is used because electronic devices apart from the computer are used to deliver the training. 
In the video below Anna Runkle President of Click to play Media summarizes what E-learning is.

  
                                         


References:
http://www.elearningnc.gov/about_elearning/benefits_of_elearning/

 

1 comment:

  1. The important thing is you are getting education. Each person is different and have lifestyles that may make going to a campus hard for them. Now there is no excuse, online courses makes furthering your education possible.

    ReplyDelete

Do you have any background, opinions, or suggestions you would like to share?