Friday, March 1, 2013

E-learning; now or later?



     In the past when an individual was deciding on whether to take an online or traditional class, one of the determining factors was whether that individual was comfortable with not having the environment that comes with a traditional class room setting: instructor, classmates, tangible visual aides etc. This no longer seems to carry as much weight in the decision making process because online classes have become the norm. Not surprising because the pace at which technology changes is extremely fast and the society is striving to keep up.  A new dilemma now arises for the average student: whether to take an Asynchronous class or a Synchronous class.

     Simply put a Synchronous class is real time virtual learning and an Asynchronous class is self paced online learning. In a synchronous setting both the instructor and students are required to participate at the same time; it is just as though everyone is in a class room except for being mobile. Students can view virtual white boards and even raise their virtual hands during the class. Asynchronous class members are given the course materials by their instructor and work to meet deadlines at the time of their choosing. In some situations the student is left entirely to themselves, but usually they can communicate with the instructor and classmates through discussion groups or through email. At the end of the day a student now has a choice of what suites their individual learning style.

The below video is by black board collaborate; an example of synchronous e-learning.

 
                                                http://youtu.be/K5s9wXUQlyk


References:



6 comments:

  1. E-learning offers student a lot more options to obtain higher education. However, it is important for us, as students, to figure out whether an e-learning environment or a traditional classroom would work better. To be able to decide, I think there are many factors that need to be taken into account such as flexibility, communication, interaction, and learning and skills development. For example, Online courses typically allow students to work asynchronously, which means that they can complete their coursework at the time and place of their choosing. This is often ideal for working students or single parents who need a flexible schedule. However, students who struggle to be self-motivated may find that they quickly fall behind.
    Uyen Pham

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with the person above that “Online courses typically allow students to work asynchronously, which means that they can complete their coursework at the time and place of their choosing.” This Friday I had training where Dr. Joan Lorden, Provost & Vice Chancellor spoke. She mentioned that the university was look to expand and offer more courses with 15% of courses being offered online. A student raised her hand and said that she was in a graduate program where all of her courses were online. I did not know you could be in a program that was all online so this was something new to me. The Vice Chancellor said it is important that graduate level programs be offered online because people have careers or are overseas doing research so they are not able to sit in a classroom. The new advancements in technology make it possible for students to further their education.

    I wonder is there a percentage out there that tells how many of the course offered online are Asynchronous and Synchronous and does the type affect the level of enrollment in online course?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Personally, I have never taken an online class and probably never will. I value the face-to-face interaction with my professors too much. I have friends that have taken online courses who say they can never get in touch with their professors,and that it is frustrating! I'm sure this isn't the case for all, but I know that if I were taking an online class and my professor wasn't communicating back with me, I'd be pretty upset! Especially with the asynchronous, you're teaching yourself. I want to pay someone to teach me, not pay someone to end up having to teach myself!
    Heather Roberson

    ReplyDelete
  4. I personally believe that Asynchronous learning allows a student to be responsible for there own work and meet the deadlines necessary for completion. I feel like this type of classroom structure is a lot like a college structure as it is up to the students to push themselves and not the teacher.
    Jack Williams

    ReplyDelete
  5. In the past I have experienced Asynchronous learning. I took an online class, it was a Writing Intensive course. I have to say that I really liked it. At the begining I was struggling, because it was something different and new for me. I had a hard time organizing my time and keeping up with deadlines. Within a few weeks I understood and I learned what online classes are all about and I ended up doing great. Asynhronous learning saved me a lot of time, money and helped me learn to how to be responsible and be able to work and analize things on my own.

    Krzysztof

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have not had much exposure to e-learning inside the class room but from my point of view I don't believe its something I condone. I do not solely go to class to learn, I go to class for the experience, environment, and interaction. I understand that synchronous learning offers real time interaction with professors, but for me that's not enough. I feel that a lot of learning goes beyond the books, and comes from debates and conversations among classmates as well. Finally face-to-face learning doesnt have to find availability of internet connect and such.

    ReplyDelete

Do you have any background, opinions, or suggestions you would like to share?